The Vein Of Love
Interesting Facts in Easy English
- vein: a tube that carries blood to the heart
- disprove: to find to be scientifically false
- matrimony: marriage, the state of being married
- digit: a single finger or toe
- pinkie: the littlest finger on the hand
- index finger: the finger beside the thumb, aka the pointer finger
- engagement: a promise to get married
- rocky: unstable; full of conflict
- Why was the wedding ring traditionally worn on the fourth finger?
- Why do some people call the ring finger the “third finger”?
- What reasons are mentioned for removing a wedding ring?
Discussion Question: How do you feel when you see someone without his or her wedding ring? Do you assume that the couple has a rocky relationship or is getting a divorce?
show Answershide Answers
The Vein Of Love
Do you know why wedding rings are traditionally worn on the fourth finger? Long ago, people believed that a major vein in the fourth finger ran directly to the heart. As medical science developed, this theory was disproved. However, the ring finger continues to symbolize love and commitment in matrimony. Why is the ring finger sometimes referred to as the “third finger”? Some people don’t include the thumb when they are counting. To clarify, the ring finger is the digit next to the pinkie. The other fingers are called the middle finger and the index finger. In some countries the ring finger is on the left hand. In others it is on the right. The engagement ring is transferred from the left hand to the right in some wedding ceremonies. Some women remove their engagement ring after they get married. Others wear it on top of their wedding band. Many couples remove their wedding rings altogether even though they are still married. They may do this due to discomfort or fear of losing the expensive jewellery. In a rocky relationship, the rings may come on and off regularly.
- The wedding ring was traditionally worn on the fourth finger because people believed it contained a vein that went directly to the heart.
- Some people call the ring finger the “third finger” because they don’t count the thumb.
- A few reasons mentioned for removing a wedding ring are discomfort, fear of losing the jewellery, or conflict in the marriage.